If your dog is a peanut butter lover, you’re in for a delightful treat with this easy dog treat recipe. Make these peanut butter dog treats using only four simple ingredients. Watch your dog’s tail wag and woof for more. These peanut butter dog treats are a guaranteed hit for your furry friend’s taste buds.
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe?
- Incredibly easy recipe and straightforward homemade treats to make.
- Requires just four common ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen.
- Feel reassured knowing the wholesome ingredients your dog is enjoying.
- Once you have the dough rolled out, there are numerous ways to cut it into your desired shapes.
- Your furry friend is sure to relish these peanut butter yummy treats.
- It’s fun to make homemade dog treats, and you can involve your dog in the baking process. It’s a delightful way to bond with your pup and create tasty treats together.
What Ingredients You Need To Make Peanut Butter Dog Treats
1. Dog-Friendly Peanut Butter
In this recipe, I used a homemade peanut butter.
How To Make Homemade Natural Peanut Butter
It’s easy to make. Just using two cups of unsalted peanuts and on high speed in a food processor (or blender) – process the peanuts for 5-10 minutes until creamy.
If you plan to use store-bought peanut butter, make sure to use dog-safe peanut butter. Avoid processed peanut butter and that has xylitol or added sugars, oils, or sodium.
Benefits of Peanut Butter For Dogs
Here are a few reasons why peanut butter is a wonderful addition to your dog’s diet.
- Protein Boost: Peanut butter is a protein-packed treat, making it an excellent source of protein.
- Rich in Healthy Fats: It contains heart-healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which can contribute to a shiny coat and support a healthy immune system.
- Excellent Source of Energy: The natural sugars and healthy fats in peanut butter make it a great energy source, providing a quick and tasty pick-me-up for your pup.
2. Dog Safe Flour
In this recipe, I used oat flour. As an alternative, you can use whole wheat flour. My other favorite flours are coconut flour, garbanzo bean flour, and brown rice flour.
This recipe contains an egg but can be eliminated, especially if mashed banana is already added. Also, if your dog has a sensitivity to poultry, it is best to not add an egg.
4. Mashed Banana
Adding banana adds a bit of sweetness to the recipe and helps bind the ingredients. As an alternative, you can use apple sauce.
Recipe: How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
2 cups oat flour
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 banana (smashed)
Follow These Simple Steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, mashed banana, and egg.
3. Gradually add the flour and mix well until a dough is formed.
4. Form the dough into a large ball.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Then, roll out the dough to your desired thickness.
6. Using a cookie cutter, cut into individual treats.
7. Lay all the cut-out treats on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on how crunchy you want the treats).
9. Let them cool before serving to your four-legged friend.
This recipe makes approximately 35 small heart-shaped dog treats.
Using my two favorite cookie cutters, I made 25 small heart-shaped peanut butter dog treats and 4 large round peanut butter treats with a golden retriever face stamped.
Preparation: Helpful Tips
- For optimal results in baking, it is recommended to use a room temperature egg, as it helps blend more evenly.
- It is best to use creamy peanut butter.
- If the dough is too sticky, add a tablespoon of flour at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- To eliminate flour mess and to achieve a better dough consistency, roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Plus, can keep your rolling pin clean when rolling out the dough.
How To Store – Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Ensure the treats are completely cool before storing them in an airtight container.
How long do homemade peanut butter dog treats last?
Depending on the quantity you made when stored properly, these treats can last on the countertop for up to 7 days or 1 week.
Personally, I prefer making smaller batches of these peanut butter treats, ensuring they are consumed within 5 days for optimal freshness.
Can you freeze peanut butter dog treats?
You can freeze the treats for several days and can feed to your dog while it’s frozen.
However, I wouldn’t advise freezing the dough as the dough contains an egg.
These tasty peanut butter dog treats are best enjoyed right away (within a few days for the best taste).
Make Your Pup’s Day With These Easy Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Treat your furry friend to a tail-wagging delight! Make this easy homemade dog treats with peanut butter – your pup will thank you with endless love and joy.