If just the thought of swapping out your go-to antiperspirant for an all-natural version makes you perspire, take a breath. Antiperspirants, which are classified as over-the-counter drugs, inhibit a normal bodily function — in other words, the formation of sweat — using their active ingredient, aluminum salts, says David Bank, MD, a board-certified dermatologist in Westchester County, NY, and the founder and director of The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery.
On the other hand, natural deodorants are typically made without aluminum. As such, their main function is to minimize body odor and to keep you smelling fresh for hours with bacteria-sopping ingredients, including familiar favorites like baking soda.
So, yes, you may still sweat a bit after swiping on your favorite aluminum-free formula (because, again, deodorant doesn’t equal antiperspirant), but no, you shouldn’t smell sour after going green. Besides, a little musk is 100% normal. “Patients often think that if they have body odor they might be unwell, or that they might be perceived as having poor hygiene,” Rosemarie Ingleton, MD, a New York City-based board-certified dermatologist, previously told Allure. But in reality, she told us that body odor is simply a result of skin bacteria mixing with sweat.
To prove it, we’ve rounded up the best natural deodorants (tested by Allure editors, of course) that are formulated to keep you smelling great and feeling even better. Below, read about the 16 best aluminum-free deodorant sticks to add to your skin-care routine ASAP.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Native Deodorant in Coconut & Vanilla, $13
- Best Exfoliating Deodorant: Kosas Chemistry AHA Serum Deodorant, $16
- Sweat-Absorber: Ursa Major Hoppin’ Fresh Deodorant, $18
- Best-Smelling Deodorant: Donna Karan Cashmere Mist Aluminum-Free Deodorant, $32
- Goes on Totally Clear: Caudalie Vinofresh Natural Stick Deodorant, $16
- Best Deodorant Spray: By Rosie Jane Calm the F*ck Down Deodorant, $15
- Best Refillable Deodorant: Dove 0% Aluminum Refillable Deodorant, $20
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.